Monday, October 17, 2005

Schedule/Groups

Wow, all of a sudden my week just filled up!! My police check came through, rather quickly actually. So Tuesday nights I will start teaching cooking at the Kids Club – young kids youth club.

Thursday nights, R’s typing class has started and that runs for 10 weeks, so I have to take him there, and then if I hurry I can make it home just in time for the new CSI.

Saturday morning’s I’ve started back with Alpha, now at PCC, so that takes up the whole morning, from about 8:00 to noon. It feels good to be back at Alpha, although it’s a little strange to feel like an outsider coming in. But everyone has been very welcoming and I feel that this IS where God wants me to be. More about that later …

Sunday’s of course it’s church in the mornings, but J is now attending a neighboring Anglican church, and our church has started offering a bible study during the early service for R. So we’re off to the early service, quite a feat in itself! We leave at 9, drop J off at her church, and then off to our service/program. Pick up J, go home for some brunch. Then it’s off across the city for R’s basketball club.

All in all, it’s much busier that I’ve been for some time. The only person who’s busier is R, who also has his after school tutoring program on Tuesday & Thursday. And he also helps out at Kids Club as a student helper.

Now about Alpha …

As you may know, I’ve had a tough time lately discerning where Alpha fit into God’s plan for me over the past little while. When I took on the Property role, which I do feel God led me to do, it really didn’t leave time for me to devote to Alpha. And then the program just fell apart. Realistically Glen E. wasn’t equipped to offer Alpha during that period. I had felt for some time that it was wrong to encourage new believers if we didn’t have the church structure for them to continue growing. Sure the church was still active, but offered no supplemental programs and was going through such transition that it really wasn’t a healthy environment for brand new Christians.

But the funny thing about being back at Alpha is that I started last Saturday, and don’t I get a personal letter that week for B.D. The timing was quite ironic, or should I say “divine”???

Also, just as I’m getting back into Alpha, Pastor D. last Sunday said the church would cover the cost for any church member who’s involved in leading a small group to attend the Willow Creek conference and the church would cover the cost. I thought about it, since I was interested but certainly don’t have the money now for the conference. On Saturday I talked to my Alpha Coordinator to see what his reaction was. Both his and D’s were quite positive, so I’ve registered for the conf. this weekend. It will mean changing my day off from November but I don’t anticipate that being a problem. T is quite amenable with stuff like that.
Given the fact that I am certain God is calling me to use this time to prepare for the mission field he is preparing, and the fact that he’s gifting me with the ability to attend, it is quite exciting. I am looking forward to the conference. The hardest part was deciding which supplemental groups God wanted me to take. I would have liked more time to pray about it, but I know that God chose for me. If I’ve picked the wrong one, he’ll work it out.

Glen E. …

Sadly, Glen E. formally closed its doors last week. Although I knew it was coming, it has been very sad. I’ve been contemplating on it all week. Glen E., while having its faults, was very good to me and I grew a lot there. I have lots of happy memories and God used it greatly to help me grow. I wouldn’t be where I am now had Glen E. not been there.

No comments:

Post a Comment