Thursday, February 02, 2006

A New Year ... A new update

February 1, 2006

Well I haven’t written since before Christmas. A lot has happened, but not that much with regards to the mission. Christmas has come and gone, and a new year started. Much like the old year, if the truth be told.

The focus has been away from the mission and more on other matters like the family’s health. J has been diagnosed and is doing better. The adjustment to her meds has been relatively smooth, for which we are really thankful.

Both Mom E and Carm have quit smoking, as well as Shar. 2 directly because of Mom D, and Carm for reasons of her own. I’ve made a commitment to exercise and eat better, mainly in the hopes of losing weight, but also for the future of my health. I’ve joined the gym and signed up for 10 weekly sessions with one of the trainers. I’m into week 3, sore but encouraged. There are days it’s really difficult and eating better is always a challenge, but I must persevere.

Portico is going in a new direction for the new year. I am amazed as always at how it mirrors my own devotional messages. I’ve also taken advantage of the new year to address my spiritual health. I’ve been doing daily devotions, picked up a good book and dragged one of my books on prayer out as well. Again, I’m making progress. It’s encouraging to hear the messages reflected back from the pulpit as well. I know that God is with me and is guiding me. The focus over the past few weeks has been the “power of everyone” and a concerted effort for all in the congregation to tithe. God has shown me that we need to be tithing on our gross, so I’ve been implementing that.

And now we’re into February… and the mission seems to be stepping up again. D has renewed his friendship with C & S. We’re going with them to New York for the big toy show in a couple of weeks. Talk about a mission field right there. Then earlier this week we had a package delivered to us that is for one of the neighbours. I need to contact them and find out their unit so I can deliver it to them. Another possible outreach. These things I leave in God’s hand. I make the initial contact and let God lead where he will.

In January we went and saw Narnia with D & M, and then out to dinner. It was nice to get back together with them. I’ll need to follow up, maybe this weekend.

So God is constantly opening doors in our present location, and we finally got the final papers from the trustee, so hopefully things will pick up again with the move. D has his meeting with the bank today, so that should be interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment